Doctors Point Field Trip
Please see the itinerary below and ring me a.s.a.p. to secure your seat. Very sorry if this is the first you’ve heard of it, we’ve had a few issues with our database.
Saturday 17th April:
· 9.45am meet at Shaky Bridge Vineyard Cafe. (Coming from the centre of Alex head out SH85 and
onto Little Valley Rd. Turn right onto Graveyard Gully Rd and the cafe car park is by the Shaky
· 10.45am drive to the start of the River Walkway and board the chartered vessel MV Nevache for an
informative and scenic tour down the Roxburgh Dam to Doctors Point.
· 12pm picnic lunch among the ruins. (Bring your own lunch please)
· Walk/hike back to vehicles along the lake Roxburgh trail. This is a ‘good honest walk’, a reasonable
level of fitness is required. Including stops it will take about 4hours. (There will be boat back
options for those who would prefer, at an extra cost)
· 4.30 – 5pm adjourn to accommodations to tidy up before dinner.
· 6.30pm dinner at the Alexandra District’s Club. (Average meal price of about $22)
Sunday 18th April:
· 9am meet at the historic Valance Cottage on Samson Street (the first street on your left coming
back into town from the Holiday Park on SH85).
· 9.30am follow our tour guide John Douglas for a morning’s exploration around Tucker Hill
(including a short drive in own vehicles followed by walking…)
· 12pm lunch and farewells back at the Shaky Bridge Vineyard cafe.
· Registration (to be paid to us prior to the weekend) $50 (includes boat ride down to Doctors Point)
· Dinner at Alexandra District’s Club (about $22, pay for yourself)
· Lunch at Shaky Bridge Cafe (about $14, pay for yourself)
· Other expenses as necessary like accommodation, breakfast…
We recommend the Alexandra Holiday Park as it has a great range of accommodation
types, prices and communal facilities options.
· Studio units
· Powered sites
Contact them on firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 448 8297
I look forward to seeing some of you on the 17th at the Shaky Bridge cafe.
Terry Davis, Otago Goldfields Heritage Trust, Ph: 03 445 0111(leave a message if I’m not in the office).