During the mining period 1870-1910 the settlement was known as Bald Hill Flat. It was named Fruitlands from an orchard scheme there between 1915-1926. The scars of 40 years of mining have all but gone. The roadside Fruitlands B&B was once a pub, supplying weary travellers. The 1871 stone building has been lovingly restored and now offers food and crafts. Nearby Symes Road leads 1km to the historic 1880s Mitchell’s Cottage.
The Mitchells lived in a corrugated iron cottage when they first arrived in the area. This sturdy and compact stone cottage is a superb example of the Shetland Island stone masons’ craft.