Most of the very early 1860s mining evidence of the Teviot district has now long gone – destroyed by land cultivation. During the dredging boom of the late 1890s to early 1900s period, gold dredges worked the Clutha River from the present Roxburgh Dam site to below Millers Flat. Dredge number peaked to 30 briefly at the end of 1902. Pinders Pond, an old hydraulic elevation pond, off Teviot Road is about the only major evidence left from that second gold rush period that the public has access to.


Leave a Reply